Pesto is high in Vitamin A, Vitamin C, calcium and iron. The calories come from the unsaturated fats, the “healthy fats” which support heart health. I think the real health benefit comes from the fact that it is used as a substitute for things like mayo, creamy pasta sauces and pizzas.
For the ultimate pesto experience:
1. Use it on sandwiches.
- Ditch the mayo or mustard and throw some pesto on your sandwich. It’s become my go-to with turkey, feta, spinach and tomato. Or try this amazing Red Pepper and Pesto Grilled Cheese
2. Mix it in to your favorite dips.
- My other food necessity? Hummus. Pesto plus hummus is the way to my heart. Or, throw a spoonful of pesto into nonfat greek yogurt for a flavorful vegetable dip.
3. Make the ultimate salad.
- Pesto makes a delicious salad dressing. Plus, you can ditch the way over-used ranch dressing. Check out this Caprese Salad.
4. Throw it on some pasta.
- This was the gateway pesto recipe for me. Pasta is a college staple, and I’m always looking for ways to switch it up. There’s really no way to go wrong here, but if you want to impress, go for the Pesto Salmon Spaghetti or the Pesto Pasta with Chickpeas and Tomatoes.
5. Put it on your pizza.
- Switch out the ranch or garlic sauce and pick up the pesto or try this Goat Cheese and Arugula Pesto Pizza.